Tuesday, August 7, 2012

trailer tuesday >> 1

I had to figure out a way to incorporate my love for films back into this blog, so I present to you with my first Trailer Tuesday (because we all like alliteration).


The other night I went with my film-loving friend and coworker Matt to see Beasts of the Southern Wild.  Matt saw the film back at Sundance in January, but I had never seen or heard of it until that night.  I was going into the movie completely blind, something I've never done before.  Not sure of what to expect, I sat and watched a little girl named Hushpuppy down in a bayou area somewhere steal my heart over the next 90 minutes.

This was one of those films where at first I had a few tears, but by the end it got to the point where I simply could not hold myself together.  I'm a total sucker for father/daughter relationship stories, they get me every time, and this is one of the grittiest ones I've seen.  Hushpuppy, though a six year old fictional character, represented so many things at once to me.  She represented a love for independence, but a longing for companionship;  She represented leadership and bravery as well as the ability to remain vulnerable while holding on to that brave face.

 From the strong setting, to the powerful performances and the moving score, Beasts of the Southern Wild might just be one of the best films I've ever watched.





No comments:

Post a Comment