Monday, February 13, 2012

happy GALentine's day!

In case you didn't know, today was Galentine's day.  Thanks to the great Leslie Knope from Parks & Rec, February 13th is the official day to celebrate your love and friendship for all the ladies in your life.  Whether those ladies are your mother, sisters, friends, or even friends of friends- today is a day to celebrate in defense of sisterhood.


A few months ago, I wrote a little note on my computer entitled "thanks ladies."  It was a sudden spur of inspirational thought, and I thought there is no better day to share it than our most blessed Galentine's holiday.

"I just had this beautiful moment of introspection.  I’m sitting here on my gray jersey sheets on my extra long twin bed in the dorm room I’ve trapped myself in all day.  I’m staring at a mix of photos from the past year of me with the girls who mean the most to me in life.  I mean, sure, Angus & Julia Stone’s “Big Jet Plane” playing adds to the introspection, but still.  These girls, these friends, these sisters, they listen to me.  They care about me.  More than any guy because they are the ones that have stuck it out with me more than any boy.  I’m just so thankful for them, all of them.  They mean the world to me.  We’re all so different, and but you know, I think these are those “life long friends.”  I think these ladies are the ones I’ll see standing by my side on my wedding day laughing with me at the fact that they’ve heard me complain about so many boys but that I’ve finally found the one.  Wouldn’t that be nice?  I’ve seen them through boyfriends, babies, and times of loss.  But those moments of joy they give me.  Wow, those are worth it.  Thanks, ladies."

So to those ladies in my life (mother, aunts, sisters, roommates, best friends, old friends, blogging buddies) again I say thank you.  You've always listened/you've always been there, especially when you didn't have any obligation to do so.  



4 comments:

  1. this is such a lovely post Karla! :)
    i didn't know about Galentine's Day! (i've only seen one episode of parks and rec) I definitely need to make this an annual holiday.

    Your photo montage is beautiful! I love of when of your hugs the Alexandra's belly! So precious.

    Happy Galentine's friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! Pretty sure you just got a new lifetime reader! :) Happy Galentine's Day! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute!!! Love "Galentine's Day"!!! :)
    Sooo Happy Galentines day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great holiday! Definitely going to be celebrating this in the future.

    ReplyDelete