Sunday, January 8, 2012

here's to the new year


I contemplated whether or not to do a New Year's resolution post, which is why I'm over a week late on this one.  It's just that I really don't like making resolutions because, as pessimistic as it sounds, I hate to set myself up for a letdown.  But, the spirit of the New Year is infectious, and I kept on finding myself making resolutions in my mind the past few weeks.  Blogging is great because it's a public way to hold me accountable for my personal betterment, so here are my twelve steps to personal betterment in 2012!

1.  Don't buy any new books until I have read all the ones I already have. 

2.  Explore the worlds of Harry Potter, Star Wars, and any other classic franchise I seemed to have missed out on.

3.  Travel to at least ONE new city in the continental United States.   

4.  Write ALL THE TIME.  Whether it's in a journal or in my blog, I need to continue building my writing skills.  

5.  Buy less clothes/Become more adventurous with the clothes I already have. 

6.  Start an Etsy store with Alex.

7.  Give back more.  Find ways to volunteer.  

8.  Start using coupons.  Not in a totally extreme way, but enough to make me feel empowered in the grocery store.

9.  Better understand web and graphic design.  Learn how to use my Adobe products.  Create a logo.  Build a website.

10.  Never let a week go by without opening up my sketchbook, even if just for a moment.

11.  NO MORE CHIPPED NAILS!!!  Keep them nicely painted or clear at all times.

12.  This one represents all the ones I can't quite seem to remember but can be summed up into wonderfully vague cliches:  make good choices, become more self-sufficient, never settle for less, always stand up for what I believe is right, exercise more, succeed in school, etc. etc. etc.

And there you have it.  Discouragement is so easy to come upon.  I may falter and I may fail, but I am actually going to TRY to stick with these resolutions.  I love how when most people have already given up on their resolutions, I'm just getting started.  Maybe procrastination can be the key to my success in this situation?  Here's to hoping!

3 comments:

  1. I'm with ya on the "No chipped nails" thing! Even if everything else I'm wearing is a mess, if my nails are at least done then I feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw all the Harry Potter movies, but I definitely want to go back and read them all too. I've heard they are really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!! Just wanted to pop in and let my sponsors know about the current giveaway I'm hosting on my blog right now! Check it out! :)

    http://little-tranquility.blogspot.com/2012/01/etsy-interviews-v1-monica-from-mdsparks.html

    Hope everything is lovely!

    xo,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete