Saturday, December 31, 2011

for your ears: my favorite albums of 2011, pt. 2

And if you made it though yesterday's post and were absolutely aching for more, here's your dream come true!  My continued list of favorite albums of 2011 (in no specific order):

6. Lykke Li, Wounded Rhymes


That night I first watched the video for "Sadness Is A Blessing" and found myself oddly attracted to Stellan Skarsgard, and that night I cried in the library while listening to "Unrequited Love" on repeat for thirty minutes. 

7. Foster The People, Torches


Summertime, wearing flirty skirts, having free tickets to their show and missing out, happiness.

8. Beyonce, 4


The year I defined empowerment, all those times I sang this song at the top of my lungs in my car, making friends, concert dvds, sisterhood.

9. Zee Avi, Ghostbird


The songs that kept me sane, the songs that bonded me with my two best friends, the songs that reminded me that despite the messes and stresses life really is quite lovely.

10. The Head and The Heart, The Head and The Heart


Seeing the best performance of my life, texting the phrase "Rivers and Roads" to my friends the next day wondering how we could get our hands on more music by this band, listening to this album so many times just so I know that every track I'll keep with me forever.

Honorable Mentions: Bon Iver, Bon Iver; Childish Gambino, CAMP; Eisley, The Valley; Theophilus London, Lovers Holiday EP; Summer Camp, Welcome to Condale; Wild Flag, Wild Flag; Dale Earnhart Jr. Jr., It's a Corporate World; Noah & The Whale, Last Night on Earth, The Decemberists, The King is Dead

So that's my list.  Did we have any similarities?  If anything, I hope you guys got some great new music from this.  These albums helped shape my year.  They were there when I needed some background noise; they were there when I needed to sing along with my friends; they were there when I needed to belt a little anthem to myself in the car.  It's been quite the interesting year in my life, and I know this next year is going to top it.


Happy New Year, everyone. As you ring in 2012, may each clink of a glass and every blink of an eye bring you good health, great happiness, and many laughs.  See you in the new year!




1 comment:

  1. love all these albums. zee avi's new album was definitely one of my favourites of 2011!

    ReplyDelete