Sunday, October 23, 2011

"a handy tip for the easily distracted"


Have you guys seen this little clip from the ever cool Miranda July?  This is me today.  Though I have so much to do, it seems as though all I want to do is lay in bed with my thoughts.  My emotions are slowing me down.  I'm thinking too much about the future, about relationships, about my past (coincidentally, this video is from Miranda July's upcoming film entitled The Future).  My cellphone and my laptop only make these thoughts harder to bear.  Insight comes easier when you have such direct access to it.

Today I just want to lay in bed with a bag of chocolate watching trailers to films that I will have to wait months to see.  Today I just want to be left alone.  I want to wear my hair in a messy bun, forget makeup, rock my glasses, and not wear a bra.  I have 2 papers due tomorrow, neither which I have started to write, but I don't want to worry.  Today I just want to wade in lethargy.  With my window open, the cool autumn air soothes me as do the mellow sounds of Lord Huron.

I'm lacking all sorts of motivation.  I need to remember what it means to focus.  I can't even remember a time in my life without a laptop within arms reach.  Distractions abound, and I fall victim to them daily all because of the glow of this 13" silver machine.

Inspire me, oh great indie goddess Miranda July.  Tell me to carpe diem; tell me I can do it.


In other news, I have something HUGE coming up on Tuesday (all you fashion lovers will freak out) so let's hope I can make it until then.  Getting to see Wild Flag and Eleanor Friedberger tomorrow night will certainly make getting through Monday's school day haze a little easier, but for now... How's your Sunday studying going, collegiates? Better than mine, I hope.

1 comment:

  1. I think I'm having a week like that too. Sometimes I wish someone would pull me out of bed, give me a pep-talk and shake me into action..
    Good luck with your papers.. in my experience, the best ones are always those pulled together at the last minute!

    ReplyDelete