Wednesday, August 3, 2011

cavernous mayhem

Oh yuck, the stress of school is beginning to set in 11 days before schedule.  I have so many papers to sign, forms to to fill, and complaints to make that all wrap around my mind like suffocating strings and turn me into a giant spool of anxiety, all made worse by the fact that I am a supreme procrastinator.  I'm nervous about my classes, new roommates, Hollie's mobility (my dear friend/roommate was just in a pretty serious car accident. She's fine, just dependent on crutches for the next 2 months), awkward run-ins, and every typical back to school worry.  Though I will say that all of these worries are significantly allayed when the thought of a fresh beginning come to mind.  I think about how terribly excited I am to move out again and get back to the routine of the city, and things get a little better.  But then I think these will probably be my last days living at home EVER, and I get terribly sad and overwhelmed by anxiety once more.  I've said it before, and I'll say it once more: I am a woman filled with paradoxes.  Every aspect of my life seems to juxtapose another, especially as of late.

A good break from the coming craze was my family's deciding to take a random day trip this past Sunday.  My parent's wanted to take all of us to Cathedral Caverns, a "historical" Alabama state park.  Caverns are cool and all at first, but after about 2 hours of the same rock formations, they really begin to lose their charm.  A regular tour group averages about 10-30 people, but somehow my family got stuck with a group that had to been 150+, filled mostly with the brattiest of children and redneck-iest of parents.  Something is off when you show up in J.Crew and diamonds and the family next to you has strapped on their fanny packs and visors speaking in the heaviest of southern accents.

Trip highlights:

1.  Mom spitting her gum into the cavernous abyss in front of everyone, as if it was no big deal.
2.  Discovering that some of the "rocks" were actually painted styrofoam or paper mache...Seriously, Alabama Parks Department?!
3.  My sister Natalie deliberately breaking the "do not touch the rocks" rule by pushing a large rock into a pool of water on my family's escape from the hellish tour group, and then watching my three siblings run away from the scene.
4. Leaving the cavern.

*Bonus highlight: Mom's socks.


After a trip to the desolate wasteland that is Boaz outlet malls, we ate a tasty dinner in nearby Guntersville and called it a day. As with every family adventure, we were all incredibly ornery/exhausted by the end of the day. And if you care, here are some photos of the trip.  




















I love my family and all of our many misadventures.  I do hope you enjoy spending time with your family as much as I enjoy spending time with mine.  It was a nice "last hoorah" before the real reality of housing leases, class schedules, and packing set in.  I'm really trying to enjoy my final days here in Huntsville instead of complain about them like I've been doing all summer.  I've been told that life is a little better when practicing the difficult art of optimism, so I'll be sure to give it a shot.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting day to say the least :) I'm glad it was a good break from the stress of life. You look beautiful - I love the stripes with the green shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Your trip highlights had my dying! It looks and sounds like you and your family had a wonderful time. I heart spending time with mine too. They're a real trip!

    By the way, your Mom's socks are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks like you and your family had a great time, i loveeee spending time with my family too!! i love your outfit btw super cute love those stripes i'm so into stripes this summer too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome photos!!! Sounds like it was a memorable trip!!! Great blog! :)

    http://sweetandsassy-sherry.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a nice family trip, even if you were a little over the caves by the end of it.

    Really like your pics, is there an effect you use on your camera? That one with the trees on the shore looks magical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, I'm sorry you're going through a stressful time, sweetie! Everything will settle down once school starts and you get back into the swing of things. Just take deep breaths and enjoy the rest of your summer days!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute photos! I love your header!

    www.faintheartedsparrow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice pictures! Looks like you had a fun time. :)

    ReplyDelete