Thursday, July 7, 2011

for your eyes: Happythankyoumoreplease




I knew I had to see this movie from the moment I saw Josh Radnor on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon promoting it.  I have a thing for the whole Zach Braff-y type of guy, and he really fits the type well.  Josh Radnor (more commonly known as Ted Mosby from the ever hilarious How I Met Your Mother) wrote, directed, and stars in this incredibly heartfelt indie comedy.  There's really no better word for it other than heartfelt.  The story lines all focus on love, not only loving your significant other, but about loving yourself as well.  It draws attention to the importance of gratitude in one's life.  Ah, the title says it all.

I'm a sucker for a solid cast, and in my eyes this movie was carried by some greats.  So you have Josh Radnor, and then the BEAUTIFUL Malin Ackerman (The Proposal, 27 Dresses, The Heartbreak Kid) playing his best friend with Alopecia, Zoe Kazan (who I've loved since her wonderful job in The Exploding Girl), Pablo Schrieber (dabbler in both film and television shows such as The Wire), Kate Mara (127 Hours)- who I wasn't a huge fan of her character in this film, but still enjoyed her performance, an adorable black child (we all know a movie isn't a movie unless there's an adorable black child), and TONY HALE- more commonly known as Buster Bluth.  Seriously, together they made up a magnificently charming cast.  You can tell from the trailer alone:


Are you not smiling yet? You need to be smiling.  I'm smiling just thinking about it.

I hate that this film's score on Rotten Tomatoes isn't the greatest, but it teaches me that my views don't always have to match up with every critic's.  Although when reading the reviews it seems as though I wasn't the first to note Radnor as a "Zach Braff" type.  Not a bad thing at all though!  If we are comparing...True, this film was not as strong as Garden State, but it had so much heart.  It felt just as genuine, and I think that really stems from Radnor's performance.  He's the type of guy that people believe in, very relatable to the "everyday" stereotype.

The overall message of this film was great.  We need to see ourselves as individuals who are worthy of love.  When you begin to see yourself as someone who is worth more than a mundane existence things really do begin to change.  Even though she came off as the whole "inspirational girl with a disease" type at times, Ackerman's character Annie's storyline really struck a chord with me.  And because of that, is it lame to admit that watching this movie help me make some better decisions about my life?  We have SO MUCH to be thankful for, but sometimes we forget.  This movie reminded me to be thankful for my life- to understand that every experience I've had, whether joyful or heartbreaking, I should be grateful for because they have all taught me how to better myself. I hope you give this movie a chance; I did, and I don't regret it one bit.

P.S.  The soundtrack is FANTASTIC! I've always been a fan of Jaymay, and as Radnor notes on the Special Features, her voice really does assist in defining this movie.  Her song "Never Be Daunted" is honestly one of my new favorites.  The lyrics are so....motivating? Yea, that's a good word for it.  Take a listen.

4 comments:

  1. now i feel like watching this movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you must! It's just soooo stinkin' sweet, yet remains so genuine throughout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwww, I totally smiled....many times. This movie looks great! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just added this to my Netflix queue! Thanks for the recommendation. :)

    ReplyDelete