Wednesday, July 20, 2011

for your eyes: Daydream Nation


Honestly, I didn't have high hopes for this film.  I had added it to my Netflix queue thinking it'd be a good movie to watch from my instant queue, but definitely not something I'd waste time waiting for through snail mail.  So I was a little bothered when it arrived instead of Catfish. But regardless, I settled down with my sister on a cozy night in to give this movie a chance.  

Kat Dennings (Charlie Bartlett, Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist) is one of those actresses that I just can't seem to get a read on.  I am faced with a discord in that I like her at times, and then can dislike her at random.  No fair explanation, that's just how it is.  But after watching this film, I think I've finally decided to sticking with liking her.  Dennings does a wonderful job portraying Caroline, the new girl in a dead end town.  In order to cure her small town ennui, Caroline decides to seduce her young, handsome, burnt-out English teacher (played by the ridiculously good-looking Josh Lucas, best known for his role in Sweet Home Alabama).  In the process, Caroline develops feelings for her fellow classmate Thurston (Reece Thompson, the incredibly adorable boy of Rocket Science fame), who is head over heals for her.  Judging by the description alone, you know complications are sure to arise.  




I really enjoyed this movie.  I'm so happy I gave it the benefit of the doubt.  The cast was great, the storyline had me on edge, and it was filled with some genuinely charming moments.  Oh, and did I mention that the soundtrack is super fantastic?  Want a sure-fire way for your movie to win me over?  Just feature a Beach House song within the first five minutes.  



There was a lot this movie could have done without (awkward computer generated add-ins), but don't let it fool you into not watching this feature.  It was a nice drama with some sweet moments, and it really wins due to the overall "characters-learning-lessons" outcome.  Give it a chance, and let me know what you think!



Ahhh, one last thing:  I just couldn't resist adding this picture of Reece Thompson.  I hope all the ladies out there enjoy this nerdy casanova looking oh so suave and introspective just as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment