Sunday, July 24, 2011

chronicles of a fifth wheel

On an suffocatingly hot summer night in the suburbs, what more is there to do then see a movie in the park with friends?  Friday night my best pals and I gathered together (them with their significant others, me with my lawn chair) to watch Breakfast at Tiffany's in Huntsville's Big Spring Park.  We set up our blankets and chairs, doused our bods with bug spray, and prepared ourselves to watch sweet Audrey Hepburn play her most memorable role (and Mickey Rooney portray her hilarious, albeit slightly racist, Asian neighbor).




Upon Neal's arrival, this immediately happened.  I love the looks on everyone's faces around us.  



You guys, she JUST had a baby four weeks ago.  Can you believe it?  It baffles me that someone can birth an entire child and STILL manage to have a hotter bod then I could ever wish for.  



 

I can't help but giggle every time I come across the above photo.    





Leave it to Hollie to turn something as simple as baking cupcakes to the most arduous task ever.  Somehow she lost the entire bottom half of the cupcakes in the process (because apparently that's possible).  Regardless, the sweet treats were quite enjoyable.





I would be lying if I said I don't tear up everytime I've watched this scene.  It's one of the greatest final scenes in movie history, and it speaks to me on so many levels (especially since I've been feeling very Holly Golightly lately).  I may be a product of a society that raises it's children on fairytales and glorified romance, but as much heartbreak as I can go through, I still want to believe in a happy ending.


So this was my Friday night.  Sure, I was dateless and playing my all-too-common role of third/fifth wheel, but no man will ever roll with me if they can't roll with my best friends.  These two girls are my life (and their boyfriends have become a big part of it as well).  Even though I'm pretty excited, I do hate that in just three short weeks Hollie and I will be having to leave Alex and Indigo to go back to school.

I hope you all had a great weekend!  Mine was strangely eye-opening, but in a good way I suppose.  All I can say coming out of it is thank God for my friends.  Even if I'm riding solo, they never make me feel out of the loop, and I love them for that.


And, to go along with my Breakfast at Tiffany's post, here's a video of The Honey Trees performing "Moon River."  Isn't it one of the loveliest things you've ever heard?

"Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker
Wherever you’re going, I'm going your way"




4 comments:

  1. GREAT blog! you are so interesting and inspirational! and your style and taste is to DIE for! you are great! i would love for you to check out my blog if you get the chance, i would really like to see what you think of it! :)

    follow me?
    www.so--hi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, "Moon River" always makes me tear up :)

    That looks like a fun time! I love outdoor movies. And your friends (and that lil' baby) seem so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have always wanted to go to one of these! Looks like so much funnnn. Lovely photos.

    Helen, X
    http://areyoudressingupordressingdown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um oh my heck she just had a baby?! No freaking way haha. And what a fun thing to do!!! I have never gone to a movie at a park! I've been to a drive in though! Looks like a blast! :)

    Ashley Sloan

    ReplyDelete